WFTO is Registered in the Dutch Chamber of Commerce under number: 40536675. RSIN: 813934618
WFTO aims to improve the livelihoods of marginalized producers and workers, especially in the South. WFTO aims to change unfair structures of international trade, mainly by means of Fair Trade, to improve and co-ordinate the co-operation of its member organizations and to promote the interests of and provide services to its member organizations and individuals.
WFTO’s Strategic Plan (2018-21) was approved at the Delhi Extra-ordinary General Meeting in November 2017 by members. The strategic plan is made up of five strategic goals:
- Credibility and Identity: WFTO is the leading network of the Fair Trade movement. Its principles define the practice of Fair Trade.
- Learning: Provide an environment for sharing and learning, that enables WFTO members and others to strengthen their Fair Trade practices.
- Market Access: Create market access opportunities for members through a credible Fair Trade Guarantee System.
- Voice: Promote and raise awareness of the Fair Trade model. Advocate for change to conventional trade.
- Capability: Enhance the WFTO’s capability to deliver value added services to its members.
The WFTO Board does not receive any remuneration. They volunteer their time to the organization. The General Meeting sets a budget for covering the direct costs for board members to attend two meetings per year, which typically take place either in Culemborg or the location of the WFTO biennial summit. The remuneration policy of WFTO states: "WFTO staff should be remunerated in a fair way, considering the skills, experience/education, working time, level of responsibility, performance and evaluation outcomes, duration of employment within the organisation and the financial condition of the WFTO. The socio-economic conditions in the area where the WFTO Office is located should also be taken into consideration. There will be no gender discrimination in whatever form."